- Peel the onions and chop them roughly. Clean the leek and carrot, cut the leek into rings and the carrot into slices.
- Divide the vegetables and the sprigs of celery over the bottom of the mussel pan.
- Wash the mussels under running water and place the closed mussels on top of the vegetables.
- Tap mussels that do not close directly against the counter. Throw away mussels that remain open and broken mussels. Put all the closed mussels in the pan.
- Sprinkle pepper over it and pour the wine over it.
- Bring the mussels to the boil with the lid on the pan. Lift the lid when the liquid boils and bring the mussels back to the boil.
- Repeat about three times until all mussels are open in about 8 minutes.
- Drain the mussels in a colander and serve them in the pan with baguette, chips, a mixed salad and various sauces.