- Soak the chickpeas overnight in plenty of cold water.
- Next day rinse the chickpeas thoroughly.
- Pour the oil into a large soup pan and break the vermicelli into it.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Heat the oil, and braise the onion in it.
- Wash the celery leaves, dry them and finely chop them.
- Wash the tomatoes and quarter them.
- Cut the meat into cubes.
- Add the celery leaves, the tomatoes, the lamb, the cinnamon, salt and pepper to the onion.
- Leave everything to braise for another 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and the water, bring to the boil, and let the soup simmer for 1½ hours.
- Put the self-raising flour in a bowl, and stir as much water into it as needed to obtain a batter, of the same consistency as pancake batter.
- While continuously stirring, pour the flour mixture into the soup.
- Continue to stir the soup for about 10 minutes.
Serve the soup as hot as possible, accompanied by Moroccan bread.