Pearl barley salad
- Bring 1 litre of water to the boil, add the pearl barley and bring back to the boil.
- Cook over low heat for 45 minutes with the lid on the pan.
- Stir regularly over the bottom of the pan. Add extra boiling water if necessary.
- Drain the pearl barley, rinse under cold running water and drain well. The pearl barley should feel a little dry.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add sesame seeds, garlic and walnuts.
- Fry a few minutes until sesame seeds and garlic turn light brown. Let it cool on a plate.
- Put the pearl barley in a large bowl and add the celery, spring onions, Leyden cheese and curly-leaf parsley.
- Stir the dressing ingredients together with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix the dressing evenly through the salad.
- Finally, add the roasted walnuts, garlic and sesame seeds.