- Melt butter in a pan and add onion. Bake over low heat, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes.
- Add garlic and flour and keep stirring for 2 minutes. Slowly add stirring stock and wine. Bring to the boil.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on the pan and simmer slowly for 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and twigs of thyme.
- Preheat the grill. Toast the slices of baguette, divide them over the soup bowls and spoon the soup over them.
- Sprinkle with cheese and put the soup under the grill until the cheese is golden brown and melted.
An easy soup that you don't have to worry about too much. While cooking the soup you have enough time to get started with the next course.