Asparagus and potato salad
- Scrub the potatoes clean under running water and put them in a steamer insert.
- Place asparagus evenly in another steamer insert.
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan, making sure there is at least 2 cm between the water and the steamer insert.
- Place both the steamer inserts with potatoes and asparagus on the pan above the boiling water and cover with the lid.
- Steam asparagus for 5-10 minutes until they are cooked but still firm and remove the tray.
- Leave the potatoes to steam for another 10-15 minutes.
- Immediately rinse the asparagus under cold running water, and drain well.
- Place the steamer insert with the potatoes on a plate to cool.
- Cut the potatoes in slices. Heat the oil in a wok and gently sauté the shallots until translucent.
- Add the mirin, Ketjap Manis and oyster sauce, and cook this mixture for about 2 minutes on medium to high heat.
- Stir asparagus, potatoes and chives into the sauce and heat everything for approximately 1 more minute.
- Place the stir-fried asparagus with potatoes and sauce into large bowls or deep plates and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Garnish with some of the Japanese ginger and serve the rest of the ginger as a condiment.